[Zope] Cannot change users' passwords.

matvei@edu.joroinen.fi matvei@edu.joroinen.fi
Wed, 5 Jun 2002 18:58:13 +0300

Hello,

I keep having problems installing Zope binary distributions properly on a machine running Debian Stable.

The install process itself seems to go fine, but when I try to add new users to the system, I cannot change their password. No matter what I change it to, it ends up showing as 'password' in the password field, and 'pconfirm' in the confirm field. I tried Zope versions 2.5.1, 2.5.0 and 2.4.4 and they all have the same problem.

My install process:
(as root)

cd /usr/local/
tar zxvf /tmp/Zope-2.5.1-linux2-x86.tgz
mv Zope-2.5.1-linux2-x86/ zope-2.5.1
chown -R root.staff zope-2.5.1/
cd zope-2.5.1/
./install -u www-data -g www-data
python zpasswd.py inituser

Then I change the HTTP_PORT in z2.py from 8080 to 9673.
After that I start zope as www-data:

sudo -u www-data ./start &

The servers start as they should and the zope management interface seems perfectly functional.

Any suggestions on what might go wrong here?

_matvei