[Zope] Re: Zope digest, Vol 1 #2140 - 48 msgs

Mike Renfro renfro@tntech.edu
Wed, 5 Jun 2002 16:52:12 -0500

On Wed, Jun 05, 2002 at 09:37:29AM -0700, Dan Shafer wrote:

> Perfect example, Simon. How in the world do you "copy" DTML Document
> class?  It doesn't show up in the Product Management Control
> Panel. Yet I know that to change its meta-type, I'm going to have to
> get into the Control Panel, no?

I may have mentioned this earlier in the thread, but I'd give MaxM's
"easy product" files
(http://www.zope.org/Members/maxm/HowTo/easyProduct)a serious look,
especially if your goal is to create simple custom objects that "just
work" in the Zope interface. Thus far, I've used his base setup to
make:

(work related)

- objects to inventory computers in a graduate/research lab here (see
  http://www2.cae.tntech.edu/about/hardware for a report based off
  those objects).

- objects to inventory software in the same lab
  (http://www2.cae.tntech.edu/about/software and
  http://www.cae.tntech.edu/~mwr/cae-software.png for a look at what
  it looks like from the ZMI)

- objects (both object managers and otherwise) for cataloging and
  keeping track of test results of composite panels. Objects include
  the panels themselves, strips cut from the panels, and tests for
  vibration, fatigue, strength, and other mechanical properties. No
  public site for those objects, sorry.

(non-work-related)

- most of a generic and user-definable object hierarchy for managing
  clans/guilds/teams for online games (Everquest, Quake, whatever).

I am by no means a Python expert, but Max's documentation and base
classes got me up and running more quickly than anything else. The
latest version of the easy product code is also CatalogPathAware, so
it's ready for ZCatalog and virtual hosts, too.

--
Mike Renfro  / R&D Engineer, Center for Manufacturing Research,
931 372-3601 / Tennessee Technological University -- renfro@tntech.edu