[Zope] Stupid newbie question

David Archer davidarcher_1999@yahoo.com
Mon, 10 Jun 2002 00:55:01 -0400

Hello everyone. I have a small problem.

I was trying to install the etcUserFolder object on my Zope server so I
downloaded the tarball and it extracted into the correct directory
(lib/python/Products/etcUserFolder). I had to muck about with some sym-links
to libcrypt on my box (It's running FreeBSD 4.4) and after a few restarts,
it saw it as a successfully installed product. I then proceeded to delete my
root acl_users folder (it only had one entry in it anyway) and add a new
etcUserFolder object. Now I can't login at all to any of the manage screens
to fix it.

I tried the zpasswd.py script to generate an access (and an inituser) file
to see if either of these would get picked up but it still won't let me log
in. I tried using my UNIX system username and password and that didn't work
either. I know that FreeBSD actually uses a /etc/master.passwd file to hold
the encrypted passwords, not /etc/passwd so I don't even know if the
etcUserFolder is looking at the right file. The documentation on this
product is limited (from what I can find) to the two-paragraph README file
that it comes distributed with. I've tried looking through the source code
to see if I could get more information about the product but the comments
aren't very helpful.

I'm at the end of my ideas and short of scrapping the whole installation,
can anyone suggest a way for me to fix this problem? If it's simply not
possible (which I doubt), is there a way for me to retrieve the objects
(DTML documents and such) that I've created and just re-install Zope
completely? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

David Archer