[Zope] Zope 2.5 and TransparentFolder incompatibility

Mon, 10 Jun 2002 15:34:26 -0700

TFs are bad bad bad... too much magic to the namespace stack.  They break
Core Session Tracking in Zope < 2.5, and likely don't work with sessions in
Zope 2.5.  The reason for this is that with the session id manager (which in
CST has to have the same name every time), you cannot have more than one
(because TF screws up the namespace stack globally, and makes the session id
managers appear to already exist for a folder that they don't, or something
like that, I can't remember exactly)...  If you really want the benefits of
TF without the headache and unpredictability, your best bet if you want to
hide/sort objects in a folder is to create your own product, subclass
folder, and hack the dtml files in the product for the UI to only show what
you want (perhaps putting everything else into another ZMI tab or
something?).

Sean

-----Original Message-----
From: Howard Hansen [mailto:zope@halfmagic.com]
Sent: Monday, June 10, 2002 2:32 PM
To: Dirk Datzert
Cc: zope@zope.org; ct@gocept.com
Subject: Re: [Zope] Zope 2.5 and TransparentFolder incompatibility

Thanks for the response, but no, it's not that.  Transparent Folders work
with either DTML Documents or Methods -- at least under Zope 2.4 & prior.

I did a quick test, and it confirms that a DTML Method has exactly the same
problem as a Document.  Has anyone else gotten TransparentFolders to work
with Zope 2.5?

Howard