[Zope] worldpilot

Ryan William Hughes ryan@n-h.com
Mon, 17 Jun 2002 15:21:30 +0200

Adam, Alastair,

The WorldPilot Licence was based simply on the wording of the
Zope Public Licence (ZPL) at the time of Zope 1.x (1998/1999?).
This was done to keep things simple in combination with Zope.
Neuberger & Hughes absolutely encourages open source development,
so if somebody would like to make changes to worldpilot, but sees
the licence as a hindrance, an alternative licence would surely
be an option, preferably the GPL, which we use on some other code
as well in the mean time (although my understanding is that the GPL
includes an Copyright Attribution clause at an appropriate location
for code with user interaction, too ;-).
Otherwise the current wording of the ZPL would be just as fine with
us.

WorldPilot was initially developed for Zope 1.x and was based
on that version of the Product API. Zope 2.2.x introduced a change
that didn't work with the way things work in WorldPilot, although
as far we looked into it it seemed to (only) involve the Logoff
call, but we didn't have time to delve further into that issue.

Currently Neuberger & Hughes has been concentrating it's workgroup
development efforts on a new workgroup server framework that goes
beyond the requirements of a web based workgroup client, and has
support for a much richer data model to provide interoperability
capability with existing industry standard Workgroup clients.

If somebody would like to adapt WorldPilot to their needs, but needs
a different licence as proposed above should get in contact with me.

Cheers,
Ryan William Hughes