[Zope] (no subject)

Chris McDonough chrism@zope.com
25 Jun 2002 13:19:05 -0400

The problem is that the application that you downloaded the non-RPM
distribution with (or you) renamed the file from "filename.tar.gz" to
"filename.gz".  After you decompressed it, the resulting file was a
"tar" file, which should have had the extension ".tar" but from your
description it had no extension at all.  A tar file is a "tape archive"
file which indeed has the properties you describe.  It's a single huge
file that contains a manifest and all the file contents.  You need to
"untar" it.

The solution:  after you decompress the ".gz" file, rename it to
"filename.tar" and then type "tar xvf filename.tar".  You will then have
a directory full of files.

The thorn in your side is the application you used to download Zope.

- C