[Zope] ZODB and ZCatalog related questions

Thierry Florac thierry.florac@onf.fr
28 Jun 2002 17:24:38 +0200

  Hi...

A few little questions about ZODB and ZCatalog...

1. I have a new Zope database (= 2.5 Mo). After adding a single PDF file
of 3.5 Mo, the database is nearly 10 Mo huge !! Is required space into
ZODB "reserved" by big blocks, or may the ZODB's size increase twice as
the size of files which are stored into it ??

2. After adding a few PDF files of nearly 3 Mo, stored as
"ExternalFiles" (which means that only metadatas are stored into ZODB),
and indexing them into a ZCatalog with TextIndexNG (my ExternalFiles
provide a PrincipiaSearchSource method with the help of "pdftotext"),
the size of the ZODB is 19 Mo. Does it means that full text indexing is
using as much space as the document itself (but I'm starting with an
empty ZCatalog) ??

3. I'd like my products instances to be indexed automatically, as soon
as they are created or modified. But as indexing seems to be quite long
with big files, is it possible to index these documents in the
background, so that the user does not have to wait until indexation is
finished...

4. Does anyone have any experience with ZODB files bigger than 2
Giga-bytes on Linux. If so, how long does it take to pack ??

  Thanks,

  Thierry

--
  Linux every day, keeps Dr Watson away...
  http://gpc.tuxfamily.org -- http://www.ulthar.net