[Zope] mixing python and DTML is hellish!

Chris Withers chrisw@nipltd.com
Fri, 01 Mar 2002 15:42:20 +0000

kosh@aesaeion.com wrote:

> > > Actually I don't think it is broken since I don't see them as the same
> > > objects.
> >
> > Then your thinking is broken ;-)
>
> Well we can certainly disagree on that one. ;)

You would, your thinkign is broken ;-)

> I don't make pages where you have a table that spans a page. That is a
> misuse of tables. Tables are for tabular data not for layout. Use divs for
> layout and position them as needed. It works much better on the newer
> browsers and it draws a lot faster. IE 4-6, Netscape 6.x, Opera, and
> konqueror all handle that very nicely then you just put a netscape 4.x
> version in to catch that browser and some of the older ones.

And what do you put in your nestcape 4.x version?

Also, if you have a page layout that wraps an particular object, how do you avoid having
div's being  opened in the header adn closed in the footer?

> I use a python product that I wrote and it has an inteface in it for
> editing those items.

What does this interface look like?

What do the items you edit using this interface look like?

> I store the data in custom objects embedded in it and
> then they have a filter based on the user agent being used to access them.

What do the custom objects look like? Where is their code?
How does the filtering work and where is its code?

> So in order to edit/see the code for various user agents you would just
> check out the interface it has for editing those items.

And how is this interface presented?

> Hmm when I looked at it before it was pretty bad. I kind of doubt it has
> improved that much. :) However DTML does not make it worse it just doesn't
> help fix the problem.

The same is true of ZPT, although it's much harder to inadertently creeate a mess in ZPT.

cheers,

Chris