[Zope] installing and running zope problem (r.h. linux 7.2)

Joel Burton joel@joelburton.com
Fri, 1 Mar 2002 12:23:47 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 1 Mar 2002, Duane Douglas wrote:

> hello
>
> i posted a similar message yesterday and i didn't get any responses.
>
> i'm new to zope and i'm trying to get 2.5.0 running on my box.  i installed
> zope as root (which i'm now thinking was a mistake) and i got an exception
> when i ran the startup script.  someone on this list suggested that i try
> running zope as another user.  so, i created a user called *zope* and
> granted ownership of the zope directories to this user.  i then ran the
> zope startup script as *zope*. i now get a permission denied message when
> the startup script runs.  the output is below:
>
> [zope@grumpy Zope-2.5.0-linux2-x86]$ ./start
> ./start: /usr/local/zope/Zope-2.5.0-linux2-x86/bin/python: Permission denied
> ./start: exec: /usr/local/zope/Zope-2.5.0-linux2-x86/bin/python: cannot
> execute: Permission denied
> [zope@grumpy Zope-2.5.0-linux2-x86]$ pwd
> /usr/local/zope/Zope-2.5.0-linux2-x86
> [zope@grumpy Zope-2.5.0-linux2-x86]$ cd bin
> [zope@grumpy bin]$ ls -l
> total 1424
> -rwxrwxrwx    1 zope     users     1453722 Jan 25 13:47 python
> [zope@grumpy bin]$
>
> the file *python* is owned by the zope user who has full access to the
> file.  yet, i'm getting a *permission denied* error when the startup script
> attempts to execute this file.
>
> any ideas on how to resolve this issue?  should i uninstall zope and
> reinstall it as the zope user?

Did you *recursively* give user 'zope' rx permissions on your Zope dir
and *all* below it, and rwx privs on the /zope_dir/var directory?

$ cd /zope_dir
$ chown -R zope .
$ chmod -R u+rx .
$ chmod -R u+rwx var

--

Joel BURTON  |  joel@joelburton.com  |  joelburton.com  |  aim: wjoelburton
Independent Knowledge Management Consultant