[Zope] Cut the Dreamweaver bashing ;-)

Chris Withers chrisw@nipltd.com
Sat, 02 Mar 2002 15:44:16 +0000

kosh@aesaeion.com wrote:

> I find it harder to do in those apps then just doing the work by hand.

I'd suggest that there are a lot of people who find it easier ;-)

> can just type out what I want and not worry about pointing and clicking on
> various things.

Have you actually used Dreamweaver?

> It may be faster for the unskilled but it also produces worse pages.

What are you basing that statement on?

> However I find that if you have read the html, xhtml, css, dom, etc specs
> and know them then it is faster to develop manually then using any of
> those helpful editors.

Uhuh, so the features of said editor that let you check for those things, and , more
importantly, the behaviour of various browsers (all of which pay little or no attention to
the specs ;-) are worthless? I don't think so, I actually think that for people who don't
have time to read the specs (man, how much time do you have?!) tools like Dreamweaver
provide a method of producing more reliable and robust HTML.

> Overall I have not liked code generation tools for
> any language since you spend more time cleaning up afterwards then it
> would take to write the code by hand.

You are in a minority ;-) I suspect you've used some really bad tools in the past and are
now using those experiences to judge every other tool that comes along. Well, I'm sorry
you need to hang on to those views...

cheers,

Chris