[Zope] Barnes & Nobles Putting Zope Books in the wrong place! !!!!!

Mon, 04 Mar 2002 08:27:00 -0800

In retail, product placement is often key to whether or not something is
sold; this should interest authors and publishers.  I agree that this is a
mismatch.  I would suggest forwarding this message to the handful of current
publishers of Zope Books: New Riders, Beehive, No Starch Press, Sams, CodeIt
(I can't remember who their publisher is), etc.

Sean

-----Original Message-----
From: Robert Geiger [mailto:rgeiger@bellsouth.net]
Sent: Monday, March 04, 2002 7:14 AM
To: zope@zope.org
Subject: [Zope] Barnes & Nobles Putting Zope Books in the wrong
place!!!!!!

I don't know who knows anybody at B&N, but maybe the authors of the ZOPE
related books can all call the booksellers and get them to put the Zope
books
in the correct section!

Currently, B&N keeps the ZOPE books in the Networking systems section, a
hodge podge of books that have absolutely nothing to do with Web App
development.

I brought this to the attention of the section manager, and, although he
agreed with me, he told me there are other people higher up the food chain
that decide these things, and that he could not move them.  The computer
inventory system would have to tell him where to put the books.

There is a Web Development section, and a Languages section.  Either one
would be more apropos for Zope books.

The Python section has grown considerably, and if placed in the language
section, would be within a shelf of the well-browsed python language books.

The Web development section is fairly huge, and mostly related to various
ASP, PHP, and other tools, and, given it's size, would be harder to stand
out
in, although it would be a more apropriate section.  On the plus side, being

at the END of a section (Z) is a good thing.

So, after having to browse EVERY section at B&N, and finding Zope in the
'wrong' one, I'd like it to be easier for EVERYONE to find these books.

Enough said, just wanting to let somebody know.  I tried, now it's the
communities turn!

--
Robert Geiger