[Zope] porting a brilliant cms to a superior platform

Myles Byrne myles@byrnewebservices.com
06 Mar 2002 09:35:50 +1100

I am a zope hobbyist, and have been using it for a while on a few
projects but am still getting to grips with it.

Recently I had to evaluate a stable, open-source, total content
management and e-commerce solution for use as a commercial site. As I am
not yet experienced enough to implement this kind of solution I went
looking for something that was easy to use, functional, stable and open
source.

A big ask - and in the back of my mind I thought I'd have to start
looking at commercial products - but then lo and behold I came across:

eZpublish from eZ Systems (www.ez.no)

It's absolutely brilliant, it handles article management with comments,
forums, link management, photo gallerys, user management, caching etc.
AND e-commerce (shopping carts, wishlists and ordering).

It also supports windows, mac-os and linux (gtk i think) GUI clients for
updating the site.

It written in PHP4 and runs on apache and mysql and the code looks
pretty complicated (although I don't really know PHP that well).

My question is:

Whould anyone be interested in porting this system (or consolodating
and pollishing existing zope products) to create a simliar zope
solution?

All the advantages of zope object oriented nature and security could be
utilised to create an absolutely killer app that could install from one
single file, run on multiple operating systems, and maintained by even
the biggest newbies.

Also the existing documentation and even the GUI clients could be
utilised if the systems were kept similar enough.

Just something to think about. I admire the work of all the zope
developers and just want say a big 'thank you' for all the work they've
done.

Cheers

  ::  Myles Byrne | myles@byrnewebservices.com  :.