[Zope] Are External Methods faster than Python Scripts?

Peter Bengtsson mail@peterbe.com
Wed, 06 Mar 2002 10:40:37 +0100

>Facing the step of translating those methods into Python Scripts, I'm
>considering the
>use of External Methods instead.   Are they faster than Scripts?  Has
>anyone made
>performance comparisons between the different existing types of scripts,
>in order to
>optimize Zope's performance?

I don't have any numbers one the difference but the difference between
Python Scripts and External Methods is that Python Scripts have security
checks.
That means that if you call something protected in a Python Script the
little login dialog might appear. The same wouldn't happen in an external
method.
The security checks takes time of course but security is a good thing.
External Methods should only be used for the little odd things that Python
Scripts can't do.
See previous thread this week concerning time.sleep()

Peter