[Zope] Apache ProxyPass + Zope == good not bad

Richard Barrett R.Barrett@ftel.co.uk
Fri, 08 Mar 2002 17:19:32 +0000

At 17:01 08/03/2002 +0000, Richard Barrett wrote:
>At 10:09 08/03/2002 -0500, Zachery Bir wrote:
>>Just a word. Don't know if it's been brought up before, but mod_proxy,
>>using the details on zope.org ( even though outdated ) like this:
>>
>>NameVirtualHost 192.192.123.234
>>
>><VirtualHost 192.192.123.234>
>>ServerName www.fightclub.org
>>ServerAdmin tyler@fightclub.org
>>
>>ProxyPass / http://zserver.xyz.com:9180/fightclub/
>>ProxyPassReverse / http://zserver.xyz.com:9180/fightclub/
>>ProxyPass /misc_ http://zserver.xyz.com:9180/misc_
>>ProxyPass /p_ http://zserver.xyz.com:9180/p_
>>
>></VirtualHost>
>>
>>Will open up your server to be a Proxy server on the net.
>
>No it doesn't.
>
>You must turn ProxyRequests on for your server to become a a
>general-purpose-all-of-the-internet proxy server.
>
>For ProxyPass to work you do not have to turn ProxyRequest on. Indeed in
>most cases when front-ending Zope with Apache you do not want to do that.
>And that instructions didn't say to do that.
>
>As a generalisation, using mod_proxy is probably less resource demanding
>that using mod_rewrite and an entirely sensible choice in many cases.
>

>>I've found that this isn't the case with mod_rewrite and VirtualHostMonster.

Just in case anyone gets the wrong impression, using ProxyPass with the
VirtualHostMonster works just as well as mod_rewrite. Afer all the [P] flag
on the RewriteRule is only saying 'hand this substituted URL' off to the
proxy module, which also has to be loaded into Apache.

The advantage of using a RewriteRule instead of a ProxyPass is that a more
complex match and substitution can be made on the requested URL. Often this
isn't necessary so mod_proxy does a fine job; but I use either depending on
circumstances.