[Zope] What causes the community to stall so often?

Mehmet Yousouf mehmety@auslin.com.au
Sat, 9 Mar 2002 09:23:51 +1100

My 2 cents ( $Au)
On Saturday 09 March 2002 04:01 am, you wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am a newcomer in Zope (been using it for a week), coming from PHP.
> My view of Zope is still fresh. I am a very experienced Linux admin from
> the ISP world, but also a C programmer.
>
> I think Zope has the following problems:
>
> 1. difficult installation (What? you say? I'll come to that)

Yes, rpms would be good, however, Zope is very customisable and has to
co-exist with python (it took me days to get Zope to use MySQL, in the end,
it was as easy as installing from source instaed of using a binary install).
I don't believe there is anything wrong (or difficult) with installing from
source.

> 2. unclear direction

Yes, I agree, this would also alleviate problem 1.

> 3. downloadable productlist 'unreliable'

I have had problems with products not working with my installs as well -
however:
The products SHOULD mention which Zope version they were written for.

> 4. small but showstopping documentation deficiences

Don't know about "showstopping" but sometimes it feels like banging my head
against a brick wall might help more than the documentation - HOWEVER,
this last year it's been great to see books appear everywhere, it's just a
pity that we have great stuff like ZPT and CMF evolving and, lo and behold,
causing documentation deficiencies (wonder what Zope 3 will do to the
documentation and examples?). Should we be denied access to these things
until the documentation is up to scratch?

Regards, Mehmet