So what will we do? (was [Zope] What causes the community to stall so often?)

Derek Simkowiak dereks@realloc.net
Fri, 8 Mar 2002 15:50:18 -0800 (PST)

->    You got Zope, a nice piece of software. What did you give
->    that you think it is fair to ask for more?

	Well, let's see.

1.  I installed, ran, and tested it on two new pieces of hardware.

2.  I reported a (minor) bug in the MySQLDA and provided a fix.

3.  I proposed Zope to my boss as a solution for one of our clients.  If
the client accepts the proposal, we'll probably be using Zope Corp as a
subcontractor ($$$).

4.  I take the time to write my opinions and needs to the Zope mailing
list, i.e., I act as a "customer" telling Zope Corp what I want from
future versions of Zope (like more docs, updated RPMs, etc.)  Many
companies have to pay big $$$ to do market research.

5.  I've answered at least a couple of (easy) Zope questions on the
mailing list.

6.  I care about Zope being a Quality product.

	I do not consider myself to be an actual "contributor" to Zope; on
the contrary, my involvement is very ancillary.  But the above are minor
examples of very major services the community provides to Zope Corp.

	I wasn't trying to say the Zope is "obligated" to do anything at
all.  I was trying to say that, in order to be more successful, Zope needs
better docs -- that's why it's fair to ask that of them, because they have
more control than anyone over what Zope docs wind up getting written.

->    I think, Zope Corp has the same right than you have to focus
->    on their customer projects and only then look for the community...

	Agreed.  But, as far as I can tell, the needs of "the community",
and the needs their "customers", are basically the same thing.  Is that
not what their OSS business model is based upon?

-> Then start to write some of them [HowTos]! You are part of the
-> community...

	I would, and I have in the past for other projects, but I don't
know enough about Zope yet to really contribute.  Hmm, maybe if there were
more docs for me to read so I could get up to speed... hehe :)

--Derek