[Zope] What causes the community to stall so often?

kosh@aesaeion.com kosh@aesaeion.com
Fri, 8 Mar 2002 18:27:11 -0700 (MST)

On Fri, 8 Mar 2002, Oleg Broytmann wrote:

>    That because you manage only one computer. Think about poor sysadmins who
> maintain dozens servers on a site - they just don't have enough time to
> untar and compile all that crap...

If they don't have time to maintain all of that why would they have time
to download those RPMS all of the time. I think you are covering the
precise reason for why I use debian on my workstations and servers. The
latest zope is in unstable within about 3 days usually of a new release
and a security fix within a day. That way you can upgrade it very easily
across many machines.

There is even a network shell that allows you to give one command to many
machines at the same time. So if you want to install python imaging to
lots of computers for a new product you can easily.

I used to use redhat, mandrake, slackware etc for one machine for a few
but the maintenance was just taking too long. Debian with apt-get or BSD
with ports are a much better idea with many machines.