[Zope] What causes the community to stall so often?

Oleg Broytmann Oleg Broytmann <phd@phd.pp.ru>
Sat, 9 Mar 2002 14:18:43 +0300

On Sat, Mar 09, 2002 at 01:07:28AM +0100, Lennart Regebro wrote:
> From: "Oleg Broytmann" <phd@phd.pp.ru>
> >    I don't. During my life I saw it many times - beginner sysdmins do
> > configure-make a lot. Experienced (and busy) sysadmins use ready-made
> > packages - RPM/DEB/PKG on Linux (and Solaris), ports on *BSD.
>
> This is quite simply, complete and utter bullshit. Sorry.

   These harsh words indicate that you are out of resonble arguments. I
said "I saw many times" - and this is my experience, which is reasonable
argument. You can use counterarguments. But if you just want to argue
without reasonable arguments - that is, attack me - I can easily ignore
you, either manually, or using killfile. No problem for me.

> >    But Zope is not easy to install. I must:
> >
> > 1. Recompile python with threads and all neccessary modules.
>
> Well, didn't you have a beloved RPM for that? RPM's are supposed to fix

   Yes, they did - that why I prefer them.

> everything, right?

   Wrong. Sarcasm ignored.

> > 2. Install MySQL, MySQLdb and ZMySQLDA (or Postgres and its DA).
>
> No, you don't need to install this.

   Zope without SQL is just a toy for small sites.

> > 5. Setup Data.fs (import Products and ZClasses, configure, etc).
> > 6. Modify Apache's config (to make it connect to Zope).
> >
> >    Ready-made binary packages with all interdependencies make it MUCH
> > simpler and faster.
>
> These two last things can not be done by any RPM. You will have to do that

   Why?

> manually, no matter what.

   Wrong.

Oleg.