[Zope] Completely OT: ftp vs scp

Jerome Alet alet@unice.fr
Tue, 12 Mar 2002 15:47:44 +0100 (MET)

On Tue, 12 Mar 2002, Oleg Broytmann wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 12, 2002 at 03:14:26PM +0100, Jerome Alet wrote:
> >
> > tunnelling over ssh or native rsync protocol
> > transparent compression
> > more easily scriptable
>
>    FTP, on the other hand, has the advantages:
>
> 1. Interactiveness (directory listing).

	ssh user@remote ls remote_directory

or :

	rsync -e ssh user@remote:remote_directory

> 2. Well-established.

depends on what you need to do, for most end users ftp is all we can ask
to them, unfortunately...

> 3. Simple to implement.

I don't know.

> 4. Already there (in the Zope :)

You're right with this one.

The biggest advantage IMHO, with rsync is that it doesn't need any new
port opened if you tunnel it through ssh, so it's easier to secure a box.

so the same ssh port will give you both complete remote control of the box
and the rsync possibilities.

bye,

Jerome Alet