[Zope] Netscape/RTF problem

Dieter Maurer dieter@handshake.de
Wed, 13 Mar 2002 22:51:29 +0100

John Lawson writes:
 > I am currently experiencing problems using Zope to publish RTF files in a mixed
 > browser environment (Netscape and IE).
 >
 > Netscape uploads RTF files with a mime type of "application/rtf", Internet
 > Explorer uploads RTF files with a mime type of "text/richtext".
 >
 >  The Netscape browser does not appear to handle RTF files uploaded using
 > Internet Explorer correctly - the raw RTF data is displayed in the browser
 > window. Netscape does correctly handle RTF documents with mime
 > type=application/rtf, however.
 >
 >  Internet Explorer works correctly with both mime types.
Netscape is right. The rules state:

  When you do not understand a MIME subtype, treat is as the default
  MIME type.

  Apparently, your Netscape is not configured to understand "text/richtext"
  (you can change this through configuration of your Netscape browser).
  According to the rules, it interprets it as "text" which means
  "text/plain" -- what you get.

On the other hand, your IE seem to understand both "application/rtf"
as well as "text/richtext". This may be the default configuration
for IE.

Dieter