[Zope] Our development Zope 2.5.0 crashes frequently

Graham King Graham.King@team.ozemail.com.au
Fri, 15 Mar 2002 15:20:04 +1100

Hi all,

any thoughts? Has anyone had this experience? (and would you like to?)

Our Zope development system is used by a small team of developers, up to 6
people. It has been crashing and restarting automatically 6 or 7 times a
day, much to the annoyance of our programmers. I use both Stupid_log_file
and "-M" detailed log file to record everything I can, and have grabbed
requestprofiler.py, which is a very useful tool (Thanks!). (an aside, is
there any other logging I can do, aside from coding something?)

All our developers interface with the Zope "manage" function, as one would,
and go directly through port 8080 (Z HTTP). One suggestion I have made is to
access it via the FastCGI interface instead, just to see what impact that
has.

The Detailed Log shows me variously that for no apparent reason, GET
/manage,  /manage_main, or
/some-product/subdir/sub/something/manage_workspace and so on cause this
failure, which results in:

zdaemon... Aiieee! 13215 exited with error code: 138 	(or 139)

I had asked you all last week, about what this above meant, and Jens &
Dieter kindly told me descriptions are to be found in the OS's lib/errno.h
file. Now, we use Solaris and/or openBSD, and this file helpfully says this
number (in a range) is used by Xenix, and is thus not documented. [Footnote:
I keep all emails, but somehow I managed to delete this single one from Jens
- damn!]

Thanks in advance, if you can shed light on this....

Graham King
Host Services Team Leader
OzEmail Internet
+61 2 9433 2747