[Zope] Re: Zope "picky" on Redhat Linux with Python1.5.2 and 2.2

Tim Hicks tim@sitefusion.co.uk
Sun, 17 Mar 2002 13:57:46 -0000

----- Original Message -----
From: <lmckusic@specialparents.com>
To: <zope@zope.org>
Sent: Sunday, March 17, 2002 4:49 AM
Subject: [Zope] Re: Zope "picky" on Redhat Linux with Python1.5.2 and 2.2

> Here is a low hassle work around if you run Redhat Linux 7.2
>
> Install the Zope-2.5.0-linux2-x86.tgz or latest. Just untar it, start it,
connect and you are en-route.

> This version of Zope already has the needed Python 2.2 installed and Zope
does a fine job of finding and executing the local Python 2.2.

No, it comes bundled with a binary (i.e pre-compiled version of python
*2.1.2*), hence the term 'binary distribution' that you were confused about
below.

<snip>

> If anything puzzles me it is the use of the phrase "Zope binary". It seems
to me that Zope is written in an interpreted language called Python. The tar
file is a bunch of Python scripts: Zope is a scripts, most Products are
scripts, there is a Python executable I guess.

So, the reality is, you still have a python 2.1.2 on your system, but it is
a far less convenient install, and is probably not optimised for your
system.  In the long run, I've always wanted to run zope from a properly
installed python, not the one bundled with zope as it seems to save a lot of
hassles with database adaptors and other products.

hth

tim