[Zope] System performance threads/proccesses & random crashes (SIGPIPE)

Doyon, Jean-Francois Jean-Francois.Doyon@CCRS.NRCan.gc.ca
Thu, 21 Mar 2002 09:57:45 -0500

Hello,

I'm running into random crashes of my zope processes, but I'm not =
finding
any reference anywhere in the mailing list archives or on the site =
about
this specific one:

I'm getting:

2002-03-21T14:48:52 ERROR(200) zdaemon zdaemon: Thu Mar 21 09:48:52 =
2002:
Aiieee! 20070 exited with error code: 13

Every now and then, for now apparent reason.  signal 13 is a SIGPIPE =

This is Zope 2.5.0 with CMF 1.2 on a severly upgraded/updated/patched =
RH6.2
... with a Python 2.1.2 built with defaults. It runs with FastCGI to =
Apache
1.3.2x ...

Usually I just wait a couple of seconds, hit referesh in my browser and
things come back to normal, but it's still annoying, and doesn't look =
good
to the public.  Note that when this happens, it ususally seems to =
happen to
ALL processes.  It looks to me like the PIPE's between the master zope
process and it's children dies, and they all have to restart for some
reason. Could this be ? and if so  , why ?

Note that I started noticing this when I for the first time started =
using
Psycopg to create RDBMS connections to my PostgreSQL ... Could there be =
relation somehow?

On a slightly similar topic, How to I manage performance? I plan on =
using
Zope for a fairly high demand web site .. I noticed I can control how =
many
processes/threads start, but then I also read somethign about the ZODB
pool_size ... What is the relation between the two exactly ?

Thank you,

Jean-Fran=E7ois Doyon
Internet Service Development and Systems Support
GeoAccess Division
Canadian Center for Remote Sensing
Natural Resources Canada
http://atlas.gc.ca