[Zope] ssh (more)

Paul Browning paul.browning@bristol.ac.uk
Fri, 22 Mar 2002 15:45:46 +0000 (GMT Standard Time)

On Fri, 22 Mar 2002 09:09:31 -0600 (CST) "Robert Hood, Ph.D." <rhood@mtsu.edu>
wrote:

> clarification: re: ssh
>
> Excuse my stupidity. Maybe I'm asking about sftp access to zope.
>
> I've been advised by security people on my campus to shut down normal ftp
> and telnet access to my server if possible and to use sftp and ssh for
> access.  I currently sometimes ftp things to zope.  I do not have any
> packages installed that give zope file system access, so I don't really
> think zope's ftp port would be a security hazard (and my own view is that
> my machine does not have any national security type stuff on it, so that
> this request may be going a bit far).
>
> Suggestions appreciated.

Robert:

Secure Zope connections have been exercising us of late too. You
should find some pointers in http://www.zope.org/Members/glpb/dwhowto

This doesn't directly solve your ftp security problem - but see the
links after the "Useful to know" bit. The overall recipe does
offer an alternative way of keeping your security people happy,
however.

Paul

--
 The Library, Tyndall Avenue, Univ. of Bristol, Bristol, BS8 1TJ, UK
     E-mail: paul.browning@bristol.ac.uk  URL: http://www.bris.ac.uk/