[Zope] Setting up a dedicated Zope box

Casey Duncan casey@zope.com
Fri, 22 Mar 2002 11:41:55 -0700

OS depends on your preference/comfort level. I would recommend a Unix
flavor, such as FreeBSD, but many ppl use Windows servers (NT/2000/etc).

As for the server, RAM is important. Throw as mush RAM at it as you can.
Processor is second. I/O performance is generally not as big a deal for
Zope (since it works mainly from RAM), but might be for other pieces
(such as mySQL or squid).

You should probably setup ZEO as well. That makes it easy to scale your
server. Plus you get advantages like faster restarts and less intrusive
packing.

The following is an excellent guide to setting up Zope/ZEO "properly" on
a Unix platform, keeping Zope itself, products and custom code separated
for easier upgrading/site managment.

http://www.zope.org/Members/dshaw/AdvancedSiteSetup

hth,

-Casey