[Zope] Setting up a dedicated Zope box

Chris McDonough chrism@zope.com
Sat, 23 Mar 2002 20:44:39 -0500

> Chris, how high of an rps would you expect a nicely powered (say, dual
> Athlon 2000+, 1-2GB RAM) ZEO Server to handle, roughly speaking?

Depending on the type of site it was (writes are much more expensive
than reads in almost all contexts), and how well the code was written,
I'd imagine that a single Zope backended by ZEO could crank out on the
order of 30 - 90 r/s.  But the ZEO server isn't the bottleneck here,
it's Zope.

The ZEO server I mentioned that spikes the processor is fronted by 10
ZEO clients, but each appserver is only capable of delivering a nominal
7 requests/sec due to a lack of app optimization.  After caching, the
ZEO server ends up servicing somewhere on the order of 5 transactions
per second or so during normal load, but I can imagine that it's serving
about 5X that number during peak periods.

--
Chris McDonough                    Zope Corporation
http://www.zope.org             http://www.zope.com