[Zope] Design data-storage / search

Antwan Reijnen antwan@dexus.nl
Mon, 25 Mar 2002 13:07:31 +0100

Hi all,

I have a design question. I'm using the CMF, but my questions are not specific for CMF, so I post it in this generic group.

I want to construct a CMF content object, which contains a questionary of about 50 questions. Some require a free-text answer, others are multiple-response- or singe-response answers. Sometimes a combination is used ("please enter your motiviation here").

The answers of this questionary should be searchable. The standard way (?) that comes to my mind is to construct a portal_catalog with a rather large index of more than 50 keys.

But I'm wondering if this is the optimal solution for this kind of data. Should I use a database or another kind of datastorage for these kind of data-structures? Tinytables?

Maybe I should construct a special catalog for this, so the portal_catalog does not become inefficient?

Any thoughts and experience on this kind of subject is highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance, greetings, Antwan.

Antwan Reijnen

DEXUS New Media
Metropole Office
Laan van Meerdervoort 70
2517 AN Den Haag
Tel 070-3114800
Fax 070-3656279
http://www.dexus.nl

DEXUS New Media maakt deel uit van de Metropole IT Group
http://www.metropole-it.nl

ICQ#: 7916222