[Zope] Content Management Solution

Chris McDonough chrism@zope.com
Thu, 28 Mar 2002 09:32:43 -0500

Hi Rajkumar,

Zope does not have a feature where you can "pull a lever" and produce a set
of static HTML files representing your site like some other content
management systems.  All content is generated dynamically.  However, many
people (including Zope Corp) have used Zope combined with Squid or other
HTTP cache servers to take most of the burden off Zope for most requests to
the website.  If it's performance you're worried about, caching is the
"biggest bang for the buck" solution.  It's not uncommon to be able to
service upwards of 95% of your web requests out of cache.

You can use Apache or another webserver to continue serving the static
portions of your site and move the functions performed by the static HTML
into Zope one at a time... you can also choose to import the entire site
into Zope and start serving it right away, but it's probably not worth it.
You want to make things better, not keep them the same, and serving static
HTML is not one of Zope's strong points.  I suggest gathering requirements
for what you want the system to do, then develop a few "test" pieces in Zope
to get a flavor for how it works; try to make these test pieces do something
that the existing "flatfile" site already does to see how Zope development
is different.

Zope supports XML templating via Zope Page Templates... there are also
addons available for XSLT (although I've never used them).

To manage Framemaker files in a Zope site, either use WebDAV, FTP, or a
shared directory served by LocalFS.