[Zope] Form Data Needed in Second Form

Thomas B. Passin tpassin@mitretek.org
Wed, 1 May 2002 14:52:03 -0400

[Dan Shafer]

> I have part of a Zope app written largely as Python scripts linking DTML
> forms that looks conceptually like this:
>
> 1. Form A gathers data and then as its action invokes a Python script.
> 2. Python Script 1 creates a new DTML document and updates its contents
> based on field data in Form 1.
> 3. Python Script 1 then uses RESPONSE.redirect() to open a second DTML
> form, Form 2.
> 4. Form 2 needs the name of the document Python Script 1 created as well
as
> access to some or all of the data in the fields in Form 1.
>
> What is the best/right/only way to accomplish this goal?
>
> Seems like it should be straight-forward but I've played with several
> promising ideas that turned out to be dead ends. I'm getting a bit
desperate.

I must be missing something, because what you have asked for doesn't make
sense to me.  If the user is going to see the DTML document created by
Python Script 1, then it's too late to use a redirect.  But if the user is
not going to see the document created by Python Script 1, then why create a
separate document for it anyway?  Why not just create the document that you
want to return?  You can certainly pass data from one script to another
without creating an intermediate document.

What's the story here?

Cheers,

Tom P