R: [Zope] acquisition or inheritance?

Paul Winkler pw_lists@slinkp.com
Fri, 3 May 2002 07:23:13 -0700

On Fri, May 03, 2002 at 10:37:24AM +0200, Zanotti Michele wrote:
> I think inheritance is a "genetic" concept, an object inherits an attribute
> and has it forever, where acquisition depends on the container the object
> has, and then on his context. There are several how-tos about acquisition
> where you can find better explanations, see also
> http://webdev.zopeonarope.com/ and
> http://www.byte.com/documents/s=705/byt20010614s0001/

The way I think of it is this:

Inheritance is fixed when an object is instantiated.
It can never change during the object's lifetime.*

Acquisition is completely dynamic. Move an object to a different
container (folder) at any time, and you're suddenly acquiring different things.

* well, that's true in most programming languages...
in python, nearly anything can be changed at any time
so I wouldn't be surprised if there's a sneaky way to
change an object's superclasses at run time.

--

"Welcome to Muppet Labs, where the future is made - today!"