[Zope] Building SCAMMA with Zope

alejandro.montenegro@alumnos.utfsm.cl alejandro.montenegro@alumnos.utfsm.cl
Sat, 4 May 2002 22:32:27 -0400

      Hi..
We are a team of students that want to try Zope's capabilities..in this m=
oment=20
we are building a SW called SCAMMA..

SCAMMA is a WAP/WEB site that supports the catalogation and monitorizatio=
n of=20
sea species.
Every class of sea species has an information of her own, that is why the=
=20
access to a class of sea species must be differentiated.

The technical requirements are:
=09
        - Interface system-user via FLASH and WEB/WAP (HTML and/or XML an=
d WML)
	- Data Bases with potential escalability(to support modules of sea
          species classes).
	- Feedback by the authorized users(to support the monitorization).=20
	- It must be able to comunicate with an statistic system(program) to=20
          analize the data generated by the system.
	- It must be able to generate (or comunicate with other programs  that
          generate) oceanic charts.
	- It must have all the functionalities of a ordinary portal such as
          forums, mailing list, mail, chat, publication of data(papers), =
etc.
	- It must be capable of manipulate various types of multimedial
          content such as photos, videos, charts, maps, pdf, etc.

	Doubts:
		- How is the complexity of interacction with others DB, (i.e.
                  excluding the ZODB), such as Postgresql.
		- Can u put flash animations?, can u treat them as objects?,
                  and materialize them in the ZODB.
		- Can Zope easily interact with other programs in or out the
                  server?.
		- How would you estimate the performance of a site (developed
                  with Zope) of this characterictics.
		- Can Zope dinamicly generate any multimedial content, such as
                  images or flash animations.

   If you think Zope is the perfect tool for this, or that we need to dev=
elop=20
a special module to zope, or can answer some of the doubts, or just want =
to=20
make any kind of comment .. please send a mail to the list.

   I hope Zope has the capabilities to do this, and much more..
If you want to know more about SCAMMA visit sourceforge.net

                   regards..  Alex Montenegro
                Student of computer engineering
            Technical University Federico Santa Mar=ECa

PS: On the Doubts part when i ask if Zope can do something?, i mean if Zo=
pe or=20
any existent module or component or proyect(future components) can do tha=
t=20
something.
PS: sorry about the english, we are chilean.
=20