[Zope] import and setting tmp dir

John Hunter jdhunter@ace.bsd.uchicago.edu
Mon, 06 May 2002 22:42:49 -0500

    Chris> One painful way to find out where it *is* writing the
    Chris> tempfile may be to run Python/Zope under strace and do the
    Chris> import.

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the response.  I tried the strace.  I am only getting
system calls up to the point where the zope server starts.  Ie,
nothing is reported by the strace after the zope message

2002-05-07T03:22:03 INFO(0) ZServer PCGI Server started at Mon May  6 22:22:03 2002
        Unix socket: /usr/local/Zope-2.5.1b1-src/var/pcgi.soc

which is the last log entry after the server starts when I execute the
./start script.

I am using strace like 'strace ./start'.  I have also tried in my
./start script:

exec strace /usr/local/bin/python2.1 \
     $INST_HOME/z2.py \
     -D "$@"

Are either of these the correct way?

In any case, nothing in the strace as executed above matches 'tmp'.  I
also grepped the output for '^open' and didn't see anything interesting.

For the record, if I simply do a copy/paste from the manager interface
and without invoking import/export, i get the same behavior.  That is,
if I choose a copy operation that is sufficiently large that I can
execute multiple df's and see the change in the Use% column, the root
partition is being used for the copy.

Possibly something in the transaction system is using a tmp file not
supplied by tempfile.py?

Thanks,
John Hunter