[Zope] OpenOffice, Webdav question

Paul Browning paul.browning@bristol.ac.uk
Sun, 12 May 2002 20:27:32 +0100

--On 12 May 2002 14:40 +0200 Oliver Bleutgen <myzope@gmx.net> wrote:

> Integrating OpenOffice and zope will indeed be a very cool killer
> application. The more I look at OO, the more I like it and think it will
> have a great impact. As for integration via COM, I'm no expert at this,
> but using UNO (OO's component model) might be the better way. Take a look
> at
> http://polysorbate.org/?work/pyuno
> the beginning of python bindings for UNO.

Thanks. Clearly it's about time I got closer to OpenOffice.

> I'm very excited about the possibilites which this might offer in the
> future, unfortunately I'm quite unfamiliar with the exotic language OO is
> implemented in ;-).
>
> Another remark, perhaps for OpenOffice Documents it might be worth
> contemplating about not going the conversion route (at least in some
> cases - e.g. spreadsheets), instead doing something with the files
> natively, it's XML afterall.

Agreed - this is the "pure" way of doing things (Phil Harris and
Joe Nicholls adopted this approach some time back - for an early
version of their architecture see
<http://www.bris.ac.uk/ISC/cms/jn/word_xml_html.gif> )

Right now, though, I think the world would be grateful for more brute force
solutions that will deal with legacy Word (and other Office) documents.

Paul

--
 The Library, Tyndall Avenue, Univ. of Bristol, Bristol, BS8 1TJ, UK
   E-mail: paul.browning@bristol.ac.uk  URL: http://www.bris.ac.uk/