[Zope] Virtualhost monster problems

Oliver Bleutgen myzope@gmx.net
Mon, 13 May 2002 17:24:30 +0200

Wayne, some remarks.

Wayne Pascoe wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've seen similar things discussed on the list, but not quite this question.
>
> I have setup the virtualhostmonster in my root folder. In my apache config,
> I have the following:
>
> <VirtualHost *>
>     RewriteEngine On
>     RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^.*$
>    RewriteRule ^/(.*)
> http://127.0.0.1:8080/VirtualHostBase/http/%{HTTP_HOST}:80/$1 [L,P]

This won't work when a client includes the port in the host header,
like Host: zaphod-content.mydomain.com:80.
Some clients do that, wget for instance, and you'll get an extra ":80"
in your request to zope.

> <IfModule mod_proxy.c>
>     ProxyRequests On

Are you sure you want that?  You now have open your server as a proxy
for the whole world, if no other access rules are installed.
You don't need that for what you describe here, see
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/mod/mod_proxy.html#proxyrequests

>     ProxyVia On
> </IfModule>
> </Virtualhost>
>
> The rewriterule has wrapped to two lines in this e-mail, but in my config it
> is on one.
>
> I have got an A record, zaphod-content.mydomain.com pointed at the IP
> Address that the Apache httpd server is listening on. In Zope, I have added
> a folder named zaphod-content.mydomain.com off of root. This has an
> index_html document in it.
>
> When I connect to http://zaphod-content.mydomain.com I get the normal
> localhost:8080/ page. If I go to
> http://zaphod-content.mydomain.com/zaphod-content.mydomain.com
> I get what I expect to.
>
> zaphod-content is not the primary name of this machine. The primary name is
> zaphod. Going to this also gives me the content I would expect to see at
> localhost:8080/
>
> Any ideas why the contents of zaphod-content.mydomain.com are not being
> served as / when I request it as zaphod-content.mydomain.com ?

Well, it seems that your rule doesn't match. I would enable logging for
mod_rewrite (see docs for how to do that) and see what the rewrite
engine does.

cheers,
oliver