[Zope] Common issue: Maintainance of Zope products

John Schinnerer johnschinnerer@yahoo.com
Tue, 14 May 2002 00:43:19 -0700 (PDT)

Aloha,

--- "Tille, Andreas" <TilleA@rki.de> wrote:
> This is not a good reputation for Zope if users face this problem.

Seconded...I find it annoying, anyhow!  I recall a recent thread on
this - I think the general response was something like "great idea, go
ahead and do it..."  ;-)

At the least, though, this would seem useful:

>   If a maintainer wants to stop maintainance (which seems to
>   be tha case for some of Zope products) he is obliged to declare to
>   orphan the package.  If there is no volunteer for the package in
>   question there is a Quality Assurance team which cares for bugs/
>   enhancements/new versions.

...and there could be an option to 'kill it publicly' if no one wanted
to take it on - IMO this would be better than a 'silent death' that the
majority never hears about until trying to find, use, update, etc. some
product or other that's legally but not publicly dead.

Perhaps a simpler place to start than a whole Debian-style BTS is a
'dead or alive' status flag on listed products (and an obvious link to
a list of products at zope.org...).

cheers,
John S.