[Zope] zope with multiple websites

Fearless Froggie fearless_froggie@yahoo.com
Wed, 15 May 2002 10:34:26 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,

I'm trying to plan out what content management system
we should be going with and I really like what zope
has to offer. I've gone through the zope site in great
detail, and googled till my eyes are ready it fall
out, but I'm not a sys admin so there are a couple of
really basic questions I really haven't been able to
get my head around.

Some time in the next few months we will be getting a
colocated server to run our websites on, and I'm
wondering what the best way to install zope would be.
Most of the server will be taken up by webct (a
web-based program used to serve educational courses
over the net), and I'd like to install zope along side
it to run 4-5 other websites.

Would I be able to install a separate instance of zope
for each website, or should I be installing one
instance of zope and simply point the IP address to
different sections of the directory tree?

I know the ISP that currently hosts our websites has
multiple instances of apache installed under solaris.
I assume that multiple instances of apached, zope, etc
can also be installed under Linux?

We'll have a real sys admin to install everything on
our live server, but I need to install zope now on a
test server and I'd like to set it up the same way as
it'll be set up later when its live.

Sorry if it's a dumb question, but I'm trying to make
the initial install stage as painless as possible.
Trial and error is an amazing learning tool, but my
head's already a bit sore from banging it against
wall. I'm hoping to get to the interesting
programming/planning part as soon as possible :)

Thanks!

Rita Mikusch