[Zope] Importing Files + metadata into zodb

John Hunter jdhunter@ace.bsd.uchicago.edu
Thu, 16 May 2002 09:39:16 -0500

    Wendy> a) What products, if any, are available for doing a mass
    Wendy> import like this?

Zope also runs an ftp server, so you can just ftp into port 8021 and
mput the files.  How you specify the username and port will depend on
your ftp client, but once you are logged in you can do something like
'mput *.doc' to upload all the files

    Wendy> b) What is the practical limit on how much data the zodb
    Wendy> can hold? If I have more data than this, is it possible to
    Wendy> have more than one zodb, and if so, how?

I recently bumped up against the 2GB file size limit on linux.  I
don't know what the story is for other OSs.  On linux, the 2.4.x
series of kernels does support files larger than 2GB.  But you need to
compile python with large file support.  After you run configure,
change the OPT line to read:

OPT= -ggdb -O2 -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64

and 'make install'.  Then rebuild zope.  After these changes, the max
size for Data.fs is 2^63 (or 2^64?) which is practically infinite.

But I have moved to LocalFS for serving large numbers of large files
(20-30GB each) and am very happy with it.  If you used this, you could
simply ft

    Wendy> c) There is metadata associated with the files (ie Word
    Wendy> metadata) which I would like to be able to access - are
    Wendy> there any products which would help me to do this?

What is Word metadata?

Cheers,
John Hunter