[Zope] Zope on an ISP server

John Hunter jdhunter@ace.bsd.uchicago.edu
Thu, 16 May 2002 10:16:33 -0500

    Thomas> Hello everyone.  I'm a complete newbie to zope but my
    Thomas> first experiments have made me like it very much.  However
    Thomas> I have two problems for which I couldn't find appropriate
    Thomas> documentation so I decided to ask here.  My first thing
    Thomas> is. There is no instruction on how to make Zope actually
    Thomas> displaying the contents I created when somebody goes to
    Thomas> "www.myhost.com". I can access the Zope interface at
    Thomas> localhost:9673 but that's it.  At the moment I'm running
    Thomas> Zope on debian-Linux.

In the root folder create a DTML document called index_html and fill
it with DTML and HTML.  Then when you visit localhost:9673 the
contents of that page will be displayed.

As for documentation, read the Zope Book -- it's excellent and you can
read it free online or download a PDF or buy it at most major
bookstores.  http://www.zope.org/Documentation/ZopeBook/.  Also, do
the online tutorial.  In the root folder or some subfolder in the
manager interface, choose Add->Zope Tutorial.  This is extremely
helpful and will introduce you to a lot of zope features.

    Thomas> With this information, do you think it is possible to have
    Thomas> Zope running on this system? If yes, what should I do?  If
    Thomas> you need more information, please tell me, and I will get
    Thomas> everything.

My guess is very unlikely.  You should still contact them and ask for
it because if they get enough requests, they may become more
interested in providing this.  You can do a web search for managed
hosting in zope.  It would be easy to give you a folder and let you
run amok.  Check out free zope at http://www.nipltd.net/Free

John Hunter