[Zope] MailHost issues

Chris McDonough chrism@zope.com
17 May 2002 23:43:24 -0400

I think not... MailHost sending duplicate emails is almost always as a
result of a (ZODB) conflict error encountered during normal processing.
When a conflict error happens under normal Zope operations, the request
that "loses" retries.  Because the mail send is not transactional and
doesn't happen as the result of a successful transaction, the mail is
sent once during the original request and again during the retried
request.

This is actually something of an implementation flaw in MailHost that
may people have encountered.  There are a few proposals on the table
that would make this a nonissue but as far as I know nobody has signed
up to actually fix the issue.

For more info about conflict errors, read
http://www.zope.org/Documentation/ZDG/Persistence.stx .

HTH,

- C