[Zope] Zope alone or under Apache

Graham King Graham.King@team.ozemail.com.au
Wed, 22 May 2002 09:37:42 +1000

If you use FCGI with Apache, then I don't think there is much of a slow
down, but of course there is the small overhead of actually running Apache.
The main benefit of Apache is to provide many Virtual Hosts, so your single
Zope server can be all of www.abc.com, www.def.com, www.xyz.com, etc. Thsi
is achieved using the Virtual Host Monster and Proxy pass in Apache.

Caching is another feature that helps defeat the slow responses, either Zope
or squid or something like that.

cheers
Graham

-----Original Message-----
From: Fearless Froggie [mailto:fearless_froggie@yahoo.com]
Sent: Wednesday, 22 May 2002 3:13
To: zope@zope.org
Subject: [Zope] Zope alone or under Apache

>From my research I understand that Zope alone is much
faster than under Apache.

Are there any advantages to running Zope under Apache
that would make the decrease in speed worthwhile?
There seem to be plenty of zope products available to
take care of things missing in zope like cgi-bin, etc.

I'd be grateful for any "personal experiences" people
would have to offer.

Many Thanks,

Rita Mikusch