[Zope] DTML or TAL

Chris Withers chrisw@nipltd.com
Thu, 23 May 2002 15:07:46 +0100

David Burton wrote:

> DTML Documents - mainly only used for storing basic content

Biggest mistake in Zope ;-)

> ZPT - Basic Presentation Logic - particularly where this will need to be editable by designers

Nope, I use 'em exclusively, a lot of other people do too..

> DTML Methods - More sophisticated presentation logic (and most likely more used to generate a section of a page)

Oh PLEASE! There are so many reasons why that is not true... And ZPT is MUCH easier to use
for generating sections of pages...

> Python Scripts - Still more complex presentation logic, and/or business logic.

I'd stick to doing business logic in them...

> Personally I'd hate to see either ZPT or DTML vanish, since I have a particular use for both - often prototyping mostly in DTML to work things out quickly and
> then creating a final version using ZPT and Python Scripts to separate out the code and presentation where proper design will be necessary...

that's a less-than-optimal way of doing things.

> On the other hand, I'd be keen to see a 'Static Text' document type, which would be like a DTML Document in many ways - editable from the ZMI, history
> storage, history viewing, etc, but not parsed for any tags, so presentation would (theoretically) be quicker.

Indeed. What you want is dumb data object with presentation layered over it. Seen Zoep 3
or the CMF lately? ;-)

cheers,

Chris