[Zope] Java Applet?? - File compression and upload

dman dman@dman.ddts.net
Thu, 23 May 2002 11:19:27 -0500

--CE+1k2dSO48ffgeK

On Thu, May 23, 2002 at 03:21:25PM -0000, chpeer2002 wrote:
| problem:
| Client side: 5 files should be found automatically, then be displayed=20
| in order to be accepted by the user, then they should be compressed=20
| to a gz-File and afterwards uploaded to a server.
|=20
| 1)Does it make sense to use a Java Applet?

Not really -- java applets don't have permission to access the
filesystem.

| 2)Java Applets and DTML?

Just as easy as Java Applet and HTML.  Stick in an <applet> tag with
the proper URLs to locate your applet's jar file(s).

| 3)Could you describe me a way how to solve this problem?

What is this "found automatically" part supposed to do?  One solution
is to have the user put the paths into a form and submit it, and do
the compression server-side.  Otherwise it may be possible to convince
the user and their browser to allow the java applet access to the
file(s) and use the applet to do the whole deal.

HTH,
-D

--=20

The Consultant's Curse:
    When the customer has beaten upon you long enough, give him
what he asks for, instead of what he needs.  This is very strong
medicine, and is normally only required once.
=20

--CE+1k2dSO48ffgeK

--CE+1k2dSO48ffgeK--