[Zope] Storing documents and metadata (associated XML fragment)

Lars von Wedel vonWedel@lfpt.rwth-aachen.de
Wed, 29 May 2002 11:32:14 +0200

--------------20CA726B53DFA1685E5F0C85

Hi Casey,

> For read-write access to XML data in Zope I would suggest looking at
> ParsedXML.
I saw a message on the list saying it is not properly supported at the
moment? However, I'll have a look at it.

> If you are talking about megabytes (or hundreds of kb) of XML attached to a
> single object, separate file objects would probably be a good idea. You could
> make the content object folderish so that it can contain several files, one
> for the content and one (or more) for the metadata.
Well, it will usually be a couple of pages . Hundreds of kb is probably
pessimistic maximum.

> If you do have tons of XML to attach to a document, you'll also need to
> consider how you are going to work with it. Parsing such giants would be an
> expensive operation, so you would want to do it as seldom as possible.
This XML will be transformed dynamically for presentation purposes.
Further, other programs should be able to work with it, so they must be
able to somehow access/download this XML.

I'll take a look at ParsedXML. But at the moment I favor your 'folderish
object'
idea as it seems to be easily extensible. It could be a simple product
that
knows how to render its contents etc.

Thanks for your ideas,

Lars
--------------20CA726B53DFA1685E5F0C85

begin:vcard
n:von Wedel;Lars
tel;fax:++49 241 8092326
tel;work:++49 241 8095240
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:http://www.lfpt.rwth-aachen.de
org:RWTH Aachen;Lehrstuhl fuer Prozesstechnik
adr:;;Turmstrasse 46;52064 Aachen;;;Germany
version:2.1
email;internet:vonWedel@lfpt.rwth-aachen.de
fn:Lars von Wedel
end:vcard