[Zope] virtual browsing

Charlie Fulton ccfulton@unity.ncsu.edu
Thu, 30 May 2002 12:22:30 -0400

> JN> Does anyone know a way to browse the web through a zope server.
> JN> The idea is to browse from a client appearing as if coming from the
> JN> zope server machine's ip.
> JN> Is this a squid/proxy thing?

> Hmm, if you viewed my content through your interface I'd have to say
> that I wouldn't be very happy about it.
>
> A while ago there were cases of sites doing this who were threatened
> with legal action since they could be construed as passing others
> content as
> their own.

There are legitimate reasons to do things like this.  For instance, my
university (NC State) library interfaces to several journals in this way.
Basically only campus IPs are permitted access, but you can log in from an
outside computer with your student/faculty ID and use the journals.

I think the deal is negotiated on a case by case basis so that the original
provider is ok with it, but there are reasons to do stuff like that.
Something to keep in mind though, the whole intellectual property issue can
get pretty murky.

Charlie