[Zope] Easy my *$%&#@$%!

David Burton eloquence@eloquent-designs.f2s.com
Fri, 31 May 2002 10:56:53 +0100

As someone who used Delphi and VB/ASP daily, as well as commercial experience with PERL, PHP, C++ and Java, I've taken to looking at as many different
languages as possible.

Other ones I'm familiar with are Scheme, Prolog, TCL and Ruby.

Without question Python is the easiest language to learn out of all of these - so much so that for personal projects I no longer use any other language, even
though I am forced to use other languages at work.

Python has a simplicity in its syntax that makes code immediately readable - the indentation means that you can understand your code months later.
The core is kept clean, but there are plenty of standard modules.
There are sophisticated data structures to simplify most tasks compared to the likes of Delphi/C++.
The documentation/books available are excellent, covering all levels of ability (the ActiveState Python Help Files are much better than the Delphi or VB help
files, for example).
I agree that self takes a little getting used to, and it's one of the few areas where I prefer, say, Ruby's way of doing things.

'context' is a Zope issue - and, frankly it would be bad programming practice to clutter up the global namespace with all the context attributes, etc, and could
cause problems in knowing what you are referring to.

Both self (Python quirk) and context (Zope feature) are relatively minor compared to the likes of figuring out compilation problems in Java, implementing robust,
complex data structures in C++, or implementing persistence in most languages.

So, I think there's some very clear reasons why Python is recommended as a teaching language and considered easy to use by all its proponents.

As an aside, if you haven't already, try learning a little more about Python by playing with the Python interpreter outside of Zope.
This will help make Python a lot more familiar, and even for Zope work, when working out the correct code for a small loop, or string processing or the like, this
can help you to 'play around' to work out the correct code when your script has an error.

My 2 cents,
David Burton