[Zope] ZOPE & SSL

Jim Harrison jhrsn@pitt.edu
Fri, 31 May 2002 12:21:48 -0400

on 5/31/02 10:31 AM, Toby Dickenson at tdickenson@geminidataloggers.com
wrote:

>> Does the Zope webserver have SSL built in?
>
> There are patches to do that, but, unless you have a good reason not to, it
> would be better to use a front end proxy such as squid or apache, and let
> them take care of encryption.

Fair enough--but for low volume intranet-like sites, Zope with built-in SSL
is very convenient, easy to manage, and has decent performance. Richard
Jones has produced a pre-compiled Zope 2.43 with SSL and WebDAV SSL for
MacOSX that really makes things easy (and includes his attractive GUI Zope
controller):

http://www.zope.org/Members/richard/zope_for_osx/

Granted I haven't looked hard, but I have not found a straightforward
description of how to do the SSL build. I'd like to put together a package
similar to Richard's for Zope 2.51

Jim Harrison
Univ. of Pittsburgh