[Zope] login troubles

Holger Blasum holger@blasum.net
Sun, 6 Oct 2002 23:43:02 +0200

On Sun, Oct 06, 2002 at 12:04:42PM +0200, Josef Kandlhofer wrote:
> yesterday i installed linux suse 8.1 with zope 2.5.1.
> http://locahlhost:8080/ gives me the test page. So everything is running and
> so far fine.
>
> But if i try to call the manager site on http://locahlhost:8080/manage, i cant
> login!!
> I try the root pw and all passwords of all users. But it doesnt work. I cant
> login.
>
> What ist wrong? Whiche pw and uid i have to use? Please help!

The clue is that zope login userIds are *not related* to system login userIds,
but the system login root can create the zope login root (usually called
admin).

Hmm, if you had not been asked to set up a user during installation,
there must have been a default user, that must have been documented, so
it is in the documentation (e.g. /usr/share/doc/packages/zope/README on suse,
I guess) where the default zope admin user settings are documented.
See also: http://www.geocrawler.com/archives/3/292/2001/4/50/5655523/
for a similar question on SuSE 7.3.

Alternatively, even if you maybe accidentally forgot the zope admin user
you can always recreate it by calling the zpasswd.py script from the shell
as linux system root.
More details can be found in the 'Emergency user' section of the zope
book, http://www.zope.org/Documentation/Books/ZopeBook/current/Security.stx

--
Holger Blasum