[Zope] Zope & Gimp & Win32

Ausum Studio ausum_studio@hotmail.com
Wed, 9 Oct 2002 14:59:56 -0500

If you're going to use PIL or whatever any other Python based tool, try to
get it to work outside Zope in the first place. Once your app works fine you
may try to port it to Zope, withou many problems.

I'd use ImageMagick nonetheless. It looks to me more documented that PIL and
at least I've already done the text-to-bitmap thing using it. By the way,
it's fun. :)

Ausum

----- Original Message -----
From: "Anders Schneiderman" <SCHNEIDA@seiu.org>
To: <jgriffin@pclnet.net>
Cc: <zope@zope.org>
Sent: Wednesday, October 09, 2002 2:34 PM
Subject: Re: [Zope] Zope & Gimp & Win32

Joseph,

At this point, I'm most interested in creating buttons, banners, and other
graphic elements for some web-creating tools we're developing.  From what I
can see from the documentation for PIL and DevIL, it's possible to do some
of this, but they don't seem to have the scope of features that the world of
Gimp/Photoshop/Paint Shop Pro offer.

I could be wrong, though.  If anyone has examples on their website of using
PIL or DevIL for sophisticated web graphic work that involves creating new
images, I'd love to check it out.  For ex, the simplest thing I want to do
is to let a user type in text & choose between several colors and styles and
then generate a bunch of buttons, which might be bevelled, plus a page
banner graphic.  Can I do this in PIL w/o driving myself nuts?  If so, do
you have any exs of what the code to do so looks like?  I've seen posts
where someone claimed that you can do this in PIL but I've never seen any
examples & didn't see a relatively painless way to do it explained in the
(very brief) documentation.

Thanks,
Anders

>>> "Joseph Griffin" <jgriffin@pclnet.net> 10/09/02 02:21PM >>>
Anders,
Is there a specific reason that you're using Gimp? PIL and DevIL are two
other
libs that I have ran across for dynamic image generation (and PyOpenGL of
course). Sounds neat. Joseph
On Wed, 09 Oct 2002 13:16:46 -0400, Anders Schneiderman wrote