[Zope] Is Zope 3's HTTP server ready?

Hamish Lawson hbl@st-andrews.ac.uk
Sat, 12 Oct 2002 20:21:01 +0100

I have a few web applications that use Quixote [1] to perform path traversal
(Quixote having borrowed the idea from Zope). In my setup, Apache passes
the request on to one of a number of long-running SCGI [2] (similar to Fast
CGI) processes, which then call upon Quixote. I'm interested in
alternatives to using several SCGI processes. There has been discussion in
Quixote circles on having an integrated HTTP server, and some work has been
done with Medusa and Twisted. The attraction with both of these is the
possibility of using a lighter mechanism than multiple processes for
dealing with concurrent requests. However my experience with the
Quixote/Medusa approach had some troubles, and I now have some
uncertainties about whether Twisted would be the right approach [1]. From
what I've read on this list, Zope 3's HTTP server looks like it has a good
design; my question is whether it is in a ready enough state yet to do
simple object publishing on a production server, either using Zope 3's own
path traversal mechanisms or by passing the request on to Quixote. I
wouldn't need Zope's security mechanisms, acquisition, object database, or
other stuff, so it wouldn't matter if those parts of Zope 3 are not yet ready.

[1] http://www.mems-exchange.org/software/quixote/
[2] http://www.mems-exchange.org/software/scgi/
[3] http://lists.zope.org/pipermail/zope3-dev/2002-February/000516.html

Hamish Lawson