[Zope] Zope on MacOSX?

Skip Montanaro skip@pobox.com
Tue, 15 Oct 2002 12:18:03 -0500

Jens,

Thanks for the pointer to your Zope on MacOSX page.  I built, tested and
installed 2.1.3 okay and built (but haven't yet tested) Zope 2.6.0b1.

Looking ahead in your instructions a bit, you mentioned a problem with
sockets if the hostname doesn't resolve.  I encountered this problem with
other software on the system and got some help from one of the Mac-related
newsgroups.  In my situation, I have a cable modem connection to the net
with an Xrouter connected to in and an airport sitting behind it.  Each bit
in the chain is doing DHCP.  By default, OSX comes up with a wacky hostname,
something like "SkipMontanarosComputer.local".  The cure was to register
with dyndns.org, download and run the appropriate updater program and edit
/etc/hostconfig so the HOSTNAME variable is set to the desired value, e.g.:

    HOSTNAME=montanaro.dyndns.org

This might be a useful addition to your instructions.

Skip